Ovarian Cystectomy Specialist in Austell, GA
An ovarian cystectomy is a procedure to remove ovarian cysts. An ovarian cyst is a sac or pouch on your ovary that contains fluid. Cobb Women’s Health is dedicated to helping women live their healthiest lives. Inquire today about our ovarian cystectomy procedure and what it can do for you. Contact us today and request an appointment online. Our clinic is conveniently located at 1810 Mulkey Road Suite 102 Austell, GA 30106.
Table of Contents:
An ovarian cystectomy is a surgical procedure used to remove cysts that develop on the ovaries. Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled sacs that form due to various factors, such as hormonal imbalances and ovulation-related issues. While some cysts can be harmless, others will grow larger and cause significant discomfort, prompting the need for medical intervention.
In an ovarian cystectomy, a skilled surgeon carefully removes the cyst while preserving the healthy ovarian tissue. This procedure can be performed using minimally invasive techniques, such as laparoscopy, which involves small incisions and specialized tools. In other cases, an open surgery approach will be required.
The goal of this surgery is to relieve symptoms, prevent complications, and ensure the preservation of ovarian function. Recovery time varies depending on the type and size of the cyst, as well as the chosen surgical approach. If you’re experiencing symptoms related to ovarian cysts, it’s recommended to consult a medical professional to determine the best course of action for your situation.
Ovarian cysts can develop for a variety of reasons, but the most common cause is related to the menstrual cycle. During each menstrual cycle, a woman’s ovaries release eggs through structures called follicles. In some cases, a follicle may not release the egg as normal and instead continue to grow, forming a follicular cyst. Similarly, after an egg is released during ovulation, the empty follicle can close up and fill with fluid, forming a corpus luteum cyst.
Other types of ovarian cysts, such as dermoid cysts and endometriomas, form due to more complex factors such as genetic predisposition or hormonal imbalances. Furthermore, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder that can also contribute to the development of ovarian cysts.
In some cases, follicular cysts resolve on their own within a few menstrual cycles. However, other types of cysts typically require medical attention, especially if they cause pain, discomfort, or other symptoms. Regular gynecological check-ups will ensure proper monitoring and management of ovarian cysts.
An ovarian cystectomy is necessary when an ovarian cyst becomes problematic or poses a risk to your health. Some situations that may warrant an ovarian cystectomy include:
• Large cysts – Cysts that are large or rapidly growing can cause significant discomfort.
• Persistent cysts – If you have a history of cysts that don’t resolve on their own, you are likely a great candidate for surgical cyst removal.
• Complex or odd cysts – Unusual characteristics or the presence of solid components in cysts will require further evaluation through surgical removal.
• Suspected cancer – If there’s a concern about ovarian cancer, cyst removal is necessary to determine whether the cyst is benign or malignant.
• Torsion – If a cyst causes the ovary to twist, it can lead to severe pain and blood flow blockage, requiring immediate removal.
• Frustrating symptoms – Cysts can cause symptoms like pelvic pain, bloating, and pressure. This can affect your quality of life and necessitate surgical removal to alleviate discomfort.
• Infertility treatment – In certain cases, removing ovarian cysts improves fertility outcomes.
Undergoing an ovarian cystectomy offers several benefits, improving both your immediate health and long-term wellness. The advantages of this procedure include:
• Relief from discomfort – Removal of an ovarian cyst can significantly alleviate discomfort, such as pelvic pain and bloating, that affects your daily life.
• Ovary preservation – Whenever possible, surgeons aim to preserve the ovary during cyst removal, which helps maintain hormonal balance and fertility.
• Improved fertility – For women trying to conceive, an ovarian cystectomy can enhance fertility by addressing cyst-related factors that can hinder conception.
• Diagnosis and treatment – Cyst removal allows for accurate diagnosis of the cyst’s cause. This pinpoints the underlying issue and guides the treatment plan.
• Reduced risk of complications – Removing problematic cysts lowers the risk of complications such as cyst rupture, infection, or torsion.
• Peace of mind – Knowing that the cyst has been removed provides psychological relief, especially in cases where there were concerns about cancer or persistent pain.
• Improved quality of life – Relief from cyst-related symptoms leads to an overall improvement in your quality of life, as it allows you to engage in activities without discomfort.
Our team of experts is here to guide you through the entire process, from pre-operative consultations to post-operative care. To schedule a consultation and learn more about our ovarian cystectomy, get in contact with us today. Your health, comfort, and peace of mind are top priorities for our staff, so you can rest assured that you’re in expert hands. We serve patients from Austell GA, Lithia Springs GA, Mableton GA, Powder Springs GA, Douglasville GA, Fair Oaks GA, Hiram GA, Clarkdale GA, Smyrna GA, Marietta GA and nearby areas!
Additional Services You May Need